We Are Remembering Ancestors
Middle Passage End of Year Fundraising Statement
For this year’s November-December fundraising period, MPCPMP has set a goal of $5000. In spite of the COVID pandemic, the economy, demonstrations, and all the activity surrounding elections, three documented arrival locations have installed historic Middle Passage markers in 2020: Amelia Island, FL (March); Camden, NJ (June); Boston, MA (October). A fourth marker for Pensacola, FL, has been fabricated, with an installation date to be determined. There are now 21 remaining arrival sites without markers, and several are forging ahead: Newport, RI; Charleston and Beaufort, SC; Annapolis and Baltimore, MD; and five documented locations in NC.
Middle Passage Ceremonies and Port Markers Project Testimonial Compilation
Music thanks to Bernice Reagon and Toshi Reagon
MPCPMP asks each of you to consider making a contribution to help us fulfill our mission. With your financial support, we can complete the work of installing Middle Passage markers in time for the observance in 2026 of the nation’s 250 years of independence. Who better to tell you about this project than the people who actually do the work in their communities to commemorate the ancestors, to acknowledge the local presence and contributions of Africans and their descendants in establishing this nation, and to provide a means of healing from the inhumane legacy of the Middle Passage?
We've invited our volunteers, facilitators, and board to share what this project means to them. Watch their testimonials on YouTube by clicking the links below.
- Anderson Flen (Africatown, AL)
- Ann Chinn - Executive Director (Jacksonville, FL)
- Ann Cobb - Assistant Director (Baltimore, MD)
- Bill Hamilton - Board of Directors (Louisville, KY)
- Craig Kelly (CT)
- Davette Daggett (Houston, TX)
- Deborah Shapiro (Middletown, CT)
- Derek Boyd Hankerson (St. Augustine, FL)
- Marsha Phelts (Amelia Island, FL)
- Michele (Atlanta, GA)
- Nick Huster - Web & Communications Coordinator (Algiers, LA)
- Jeannie Pirtle (Historic Sotterley, MD)
- Jeri Swinton (Kentucky)
- Joan Hubert - Board of Directors (Galveston, TX)
- John Bloomfield - Digital Archivist (Palm Coast, FL)
- Joseph Jenkins - Board of Directors (Spring Grove, VA)
- Marion Williams (Pensacola, FL)
- Michael Ginsberg (Louisville, KY)
- Regina Hartfield - Advisory Board (Cambridge, MD)
- Robert Cataliotti (Baltimore, MD)
- Victoria Hamilton (Washington, DC)
- Victoria Johnson (Newport, RI)
- Vivian Johnson (Boston, MA)
Please give generously, and for a contribution of $40.00 or more you can select a face mask or t-shirt as a thank you gift from us.
Donate by mail at:
Middle Passage Ceremonies and Port Markers Project, Inc.
P.O. Box 3071
Jacksonville, FL 32206